Originally called Gold Mountain, nine miners discovered gold here in 1851. It was a discovery that ultimately led to 30 miles of mine shafts and an extensive ore processing facility. The Mohawk Mill was constructed in 1876, housing 60 stamps, each of which could crush 2.5 tons of ore every 24 hours. Today, the mill remains, along with several other historic buildings, including a miners' bunkhouse that now serves as the park's museum. Spend a few days at the campground and enjoy the park's miles of hiking trails, fish Jamison Creek or any of the numerous other nearby streams and lakes outside the park, or simply relax in the forest shade.